Volume 49 in the L. D. Series investigates the structuring of the monastic community, based on the canonical texts known as Cheda-sūtras, and the methods for mendicants’ compensating and repairing lapses in conduct. The teacher decides on the necessary atonements – prāyaścittas – by taking into account the culprit’s situation and other factors.
- Show: Table of contents
- 1. General remarks: limits of the distinctive character of the Jaina religion
- 2. The texts
- Part one – Organisation of the monastic life
- Part two – Atonements
- Chapter I: General principles
- Chapter II: Dispensations: dispensations from the second and fourth 'great vows'
- Chapter III: Atonements
- Chapter IV: The first atonement: confession
- Chapter V: The second atonement: repentance
- Chapter VI: The fourth atonement: restitution
- Chapter VII: The sixth atonement: isolation
- Chapter VIII: The seventh and eighth atonements: partial and radical suppression of religious seniority
- Chapter IX: The ninth and tenth atonements: demotion and exclusion
- Lalbhai Dalpatbhai Bharatiya Sanskriti Vidya Mandir L. D. Series
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.